Originally Posted by DELGUE
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by DELGUE
And that's what's good about it. Different people have different preferences based on bullet performance or cartridge performance or nostalgia or sentimental reasons, and different standards regarding cartridge efficiency or what is acceptable terminal ballistics or whatever. And the only one you have to please is yourself. I have several .45-70's, and it just trips my trigger to use the same cartridge Custer used at Little Big Horn. Or throw 44 Mag bullets out of a lever action carbine, or use my 444, or one of my 17 Remingtons. Our pasts lead us to decisions and conclusions, decisions and conclusions which may have been perfectly valid in the past, but which may not hold true now, due to various developments and improvements.

Custer didn't use the .45-70, he used the .50-70. Even his men didn't really use the .45-70. Since the carbine load for the .45-70 only contained 55 grains of black powder and a cardboard filler the cartridge was then referred to as the .45/55. Sorry for being a wizeazz.

Same cartridge case, one load for cav, one load for infantry. I'm thinkin' you're pickin' pepper, but that's ok. wink

I agree. But Custer really was a .50/70 guy. Amazing thing is the Indians walked off the battlefield with his Remington Rolling Block in tow, and it's never resurfaced since. I'd love to know where it is.