Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
teal.....wondering what you seeing on your class 8 trucks with common rail fuel systems for life span of the high pressure fuel pump ?

do you know if your fuel supplier is putting in any additives prior to delivery ?

thats my main concern with these newer pickups with common rail ...the Fords in particular have proven to prone to problems with with the HPFP ; also water in the fuel will damage them quickly

one reason I use an additive is to de-mulsify any water present , so the fuel water separator can get rid of it before it reaches the injection system

It's rather rare that I've had to replace a fuel pump. I can think of 1 in the last several months.

As to fuel supplier - I don't know. We buy a lot of ours via Petro - standard pull up to the pump and go.

Back when I was working for a dealership and ULSD came out - most of the engine mfgs STRONGLY cautioned against adding 2 stroke or ATF fluids to the fuel. Their concern was "at what point does that additive combust and is it at a different point than fuel? Particularly if it's early??????" Now I'd think a fuels engineer could answer and I think the question is valid given that 2 stroke oil is designed to be mixed with gas and burned via spark and not compression like diesel but it's not something I ever bothered to look into much.

Dunno - I think sometimes people are quick to blame the fuel for a failure when maybe, it's most likely just a chitty part/quality to begin with.

Me