Just north of Silverton on the west side of the highway - South Mineral area - drive past the camp ground into the upper basin. Before the campground - take the road on the right to the top - nice little lake and mtn vistas. Ouray - 4 x 4 to Yankee Boy Basin, do Engineer pass from Ouray back into Silverton. Go to Ridgway and head west towards Norwood & Telluride. At the top of Dallas Divide several miles out of Ridgeway - look for Last Dollar Road and drive it into Telluride. It's an easy and scenic drive. Enjoy Telluride and then go over Lizard Head pass back to the South into Mesa Verde. Lots of great scenery and off roading in the San Juans - enjoy the time there. Silver Jack Reservoir to the East of Ridgeway is another easy /scenic route and you can end of coming out east of Montrose, see the Black Canyon on your way into Montrose and then back South to Durango. I lived in Montrose years ago and spent every moment when I wasn't working prowling the mountains in the area, all the 4x4 trails, horseback, hiking etc. SW Colorado is my absolute favorite place in the US.