Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I'm glad all you guys like those 2.5" k's. I'm a far worse shot with my 2.5" 66 than either my 4" 586 or my wife's 3" 60. I've settled on 357 158s at moderate loading, 15 grains of H110 I think off the top of my head. Darn handy size, and feels great in my hand, but I'd ruther a 4".

My first 357 Mag was a 3" M65, which was a DEA-surplus issue gun I bought from CDNN by mail order. I shot and won my first IDPA State championship title with that little gun, defeating guys with full-moon clip M625's. I'm not saying that to brag on me... God knows I was luckier'n a dog with two you-know-what's that day to get over on those guys... but the point I'm trying to make is that a good 3" K-frame can get almost anything done you need it to in the run-n-gun, self-defendin' mode of operation, which is what IDPA was set up to simulate.

Will it outperform my 6" M586 or Ruger BH 7.5" on deer at 100 yards? Of course not. But if it's what I had on my belt when a deer showed up at 45 yards, I could put that 158 gr SJHP bullet right in the boiler room and collect my winter's meat. Moreover, after shooting that deer Saturday evening, I could tote that little magnum under my untucked shirt to church the next morning and no one would be the wiser, myself included, because it's as light and handy a handgun as I could ask for.

I've bought and sold several dozen 357 Mag revolvers since then, but I still have (and carry often!) that 3" Model 65. And I'm thinkin' I need to start looking for another half-dozen of 'em to give to the kids.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars