I could see swirls all over the pond and from time to time, you could see the fish cruising under the surface. You could see the dorsal fins and they looked like nice fish. Swimming on top and swirling. I never saw a bug on the water so I didn't really know what to do. I tried the leach again. Nada. I tried the hare's ear on a floating line. 4' deep pond! Bead head hare's ears and caddis pupa. The Chironamids, little 16's and 18's in yellow, white, brown. Nada. I tried dries, stripping dries wet... I got zero interest. The footballer which is basically a hook wrapped in olive thread ribbed with yellow kevlar thread is supposed to be an old favorite there. I can't see what it imitates. I think the fish are cruising around in the surface film picking out something. Emergers? I don't know!

The river fish, by the way, took the drys stripped back under water. That's working pretty well. No bugs, cast a dry at the fish, pop it under and strip it back. They take it. I don't know what a dry looks like under water swimming, but they take it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson