Originally Posted by matt_allen
does anyone have any info on this caliber. i want to build one. reloading ease. accuracy. availibility of dies etc.. thanks in advance

My 22-243 is AI'ed.

It will push 60's to 4000 fps w/ RL19, 3.900 fps w/ H4831.

It is a Savage 112 long action single shot which used to be a 22-250, and it still has the 14 inch twist barrel. It was rechambered by http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ The savage 26 inch varmint weight barrel groups inside 1/2 moa with the 60 gr Hornady spire point. I Moly plate the bullets.

I purchase Winchester 243 brass and neck size it in my AI sizer die. The fire form shot is just as accurate and kills stuff just as dead as subsequent shots.

My dies were ordered from CH-4D. And the price was quite reasonable, but somewhat more expensive than standard dies at the corner Sporting Goods Shop.

Barrel life?????

Good question. My rifle was about ten years old and had in excess of 500 rounds of 22-250 through it when it was rechambered. That was nearly ten years ago and I have put about another 500 rounds through it since. I shot 50 through it last weekend and have not observed any loss of accuracy.

But I only shoot two or maybe three shots and set it aside to cool.

I am sure that it must be on its last legs. It has to die someday. When it does, I think I will have the new barrel built in the same shop for the same chambering. But I will go with a faster twist to accommodate 69 to 78 gr bullets.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.