Originally Posted by richardca99
Okay, bedding job complete on the Model 70 Extreme Weather. I used Devcon Plastic Steel -- my compound of choice. I've bedded a lot of rifles, but never a Winchester.

The lug was straight forward, but the compound is very, very thin on top of the receiver flat; I'm suspicious that it may flake off over time. The good news is that it's so thin, I'm not sure it'll matter. There was obviously a very, very close fit between the two surfaces. We'll see. I'm not apt to redo it at this point unless some of you Winchester guys advise otherwise.

[Linked Image]

I found the tang area to be tricky. Once you grind away the factory goo, there is very little aluminum bedding block to serve as a "shelf" for the new compound to sit on. I found it easier to block the pillar hole, dam it up with clay in front by the trigger assembly, and make a solid block of bedding. Then, when it cured, I just drilled through the pillar for the action screw hole. I wound up with a lot more surface area for the screw block, and three clean "walls" to keep it from moving. I had to go back with the Dremel and make some clearance for the bolt release spring, etc., which is why it looks a little chewed up.

[Linked Image]

Thoughts? If you Winchester guys see a problem, please let me know. I'd rather fix it than waste weeks at the range. Not sure about that receiver flat...the bedding there is thinner than a sheet of paper. I am confident that the rig is stress free; it passes all contortions of the action-screw test tightening/loosening test. Both screws bottom out and "hit the wall" almost immediately.

Richard, not to nitpick you work but it seems the bedding is a little thick. Your action and barrel may stick up a little high out of the stock...The thing I like doing most of the time is skim bedding over the aluminum bedding block. If you look at my pics, you can see where the bedding doesn't stick near the pillars or front action hole...theres a reason for that...I leave that section alone so the barreled action will rest on it like it is susposed to. That way your barreled action is sitting in the stock as it was intended and you get the proper freeloat etc.....Here's how I prep the stock and how I add the bedding compound:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/006-13.jpg[/img]

When you skim bed a stock like this, you end up with a thin layer of bedding over the pillars but plenty of reinforcement behind the recoil lug where you really need it...Drill some anchors too if you choose, this also adds extra strength...:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/013-9.jpg[/img]

Did this with a win model 70 tupperware stock.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA