Originally Posted by FredWillis
I have been stupid enough to hunt chukars for over 30 years. Now I am too damned old to climb the hills. It seems like some of you are a little behind times. Making a statement that two shells is enough puts you in that position.

I have known and hunted with many chukar hunters that think nothing of shooting triples and are/were capable of killing a limit in the morning. Some of those guys are now dead or too old to climb and hunt anymore.

I hunted E. Oregon all those years and shot many different shotguns. I finally settled on a Benelli Ultra Lite in 12 ga. I have for years shot 1 1/8 of #5 shot and found it predictably reliable. The last year we hunted, on public ground, our crew shot 85 birds the first day. No one shot over their limit.

These guys learned how to hunt chukars. If you pay attention, you will find that most chukars will find a certain level on a given day. Most coveys will be at that level. It might be at the top of the mountain or part way down. Sometimes it is a pain to find them. This post is not meant as a criticism, but to clear up some issues.

I'll bite, its been a few months since the last chukar and that probably has me surly. I shot my first chukar 36 years ago. I've taken plenty of repeaters into the chukar hills and had a time when I thought it was necessary to have 5 shots. That time passed.

[Linked Image]

I've also taken triples on a staggered covey rise without moving many times with a repeater and a double. I've done it more often with a double.

I've put plenty of limits in the bag with two shots at a go. I've noticed that guys who dis doubles generally think that more lead in the air means more birds in the bag. If shooting two shells at a time means I'm "behind the times," I'm glad to wear that title. It seems to me that as I mature it isn't the destination, but the journey that brings meaning to my life. Shoot what you want, but spare me the clarification of the issues.

[Linked Image]