though I named this topic African Myths. it should be explained that the last place these myths started was Africa. rather these myths are from salesman that have never set foot in Africa. I am proud to say that I have a handful of friends that are foreign to Africa of which 50% are probably from the US alone. I am fortunate to say that all of these friends are good people. my kind of people. no nonsense down to the wire lets get the job done with the least amount of who ha and hi-vife's. in short decent hard working God fearing folks.

what simply irritates me is the lies they are exposed to, and with which they confront you with when they bless you with their presence over here.

I will sum this up by simply explaining that foreign hunters are told that to be the best hunter you can be(for Africa) you have to have the uber killing cannon. this is Bulls$#@^&%T!!!
it seems to me hunters are being taken advantage of by salesman.
when talking about plains game my pet peeve is the so called:" big boned thick skinned animals" what the hell is that???

I recently red an article in a very celebrated American hunting mag. in this article the author states that from Gemsbuck and bigger ABSOLUTE MINIMUM is 338wm. BULLs@#$%T.

I have said this before and as a local hunter I will say it again, if you are a good hunter with a 30-06(in America) why in the world on plains game in Africa do you need anything bigger??? If you do whant to to spend anything do it on premium bullets, thats it.

I would put my money on a hunter that knows his 30-06 vs the hunter that has n new unproven untested 338 any day.

if you do know your 338 or 325 or 375 well that is a bonus but it is not the min requirement such as the salesman would let you to believe.

sorry for the rant, but I have just seen a good man been had again by this old African Myth that did not start in Africa.

as far as the local hunters the advice would be: 270, if you whant more: 30-06.

personally I use 308 for most of my hunts/culls and 300mag for Eland with 150 tsx. though my 308 has taken it 's fair share of eland with shelf ammo.

all I am saying is double check the so called expert advice, rather mind the advice from your PH.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 06/24/12.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!