Originally Posted by Paul39
A couple of questions:

lastround, what problem with your 39A did you attribute to it's being a crossbolt model? QC issues with the latest Remington production, or is there a functional problem related to the rebounding hammer and crossbolt design?

Tom, what was involved in replacing the barrel? was it a DIY project or did you have a gunsmith or the factory do it?

Paul

Paul, sorry to be so long in replying. I guess I just lost this thread.

I'm not sure what the problem was with the 39a. It had exactly the same problems that 458 Lott described. Exactly! The gunsmith told me he has had problems with a lot of the newer crossbolt safety models. He replaced the firing pin and the guide spring. It
solved the firing problem mostly ( still a failure ever so often, maybe the ammo ) but still jammed about once every ten or so lever strokes.

I owned a 1954 Mountie until I gave it to my son. It probably had/has been fired 10,000 or so rounds. The only problem there has ever been was a broken firing pin cause by dry firing when I was about 12 yrs. old

Last edited by lastround; 07/13/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug