Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Warhawk, very nice!

I went round and round with myself between 444 and 45-70. Eventually I went 45-70, but since I'm a 44 Mag shooter, I have had a few regrets not going 444 just for logistics.

I like the older Marlins, but would prefer the 1/20 twist ballard rifling on the newer 444s.

Thanks, I've had a 45-70 Marlin for about 20 years now. Added a stainless guide gun and a Browning 1886 more recently. I've killed a few deer and a few hogs with the .45-70 and it certainly does the job.

But I'm a .44 Mag shooter, and just couldn't resist getting a .444. Now that I have this cusom 444 I have sent off a check for a stainless 444 XLR and am thinking about having one of my 30-30s rebored to .444 by Jess at www.35caliber.com

The XLR has the 1:20 twist, and that's a big reason I bought it. The older gun may not shoot heavy bullets well, but I'll bet the XLR does. And the rebored gun can be any twist rate I want (I would specify a 1:20 twist).

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere, than in any city on earth" ... Steve McQueen