I have found that if you have a Model 70 action blueprinted, rebarreled, and bedded properly that it'll shoot just as well as if it were based on a Model 700 action or anything else, at least in the form of a hunting rifle. I own Model 70 custom jobs from Echols and Penrod that are honest 1/2 MOA rifles with premium hunting bullets, in calibers ranging from 270 Win. to 416 Remington. Based on my experience with the Model 70 over the years, any notion that it's incapable of delivering fine accuracy is ill-founded.

Historically, the Model 70 action has been used as the basis of more rifles that have won the 1,000 yd. Wimbleton than anything else, which is a fact that should also tell you something.

I've owned a great many stock Model 70 factory rifles over the years, including pre-64s, post-64 push-feeds, and Classics. With proper loads and some tweeking, MOA groups were the norm, not the exception. Yes, there were some dogs that just-plain wouldn't shoot. That's the risk you run with factory rifles...........

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen