Originally Posted by Armymark
I just got back from my caribou hunt a couple days ago. I have this pic of one bull and I got another but I don't have the pic yet. It is on my buddies camera and he's out of town. So I'll post this one and then the other. I took 2 rifles, both Browning 1885s in 30-06 and 45-70. This pic is of the bull I dropped with the 1885 chambered in 30-06. This rifle is a bit new to me and I ended up using factory ammo which was Winchester 180grain XP3 Supreme Elite. I usually handload everything but I ran out of time. The shot was 382 yards as he was looking at me and entered center mass of the neck and exited through the lung on his right side. He was DRT like a bag of hammers! I usually try to get two caribou per season and my family willn eat on that and salmon through the winter. Just finished with all the meat. I had 60 pounds made into summer sausage and hunter stix,Yum! I'll post the other pics when I get them from my buddy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So here is the rest of the story using the 45-70. This bull was down along the river braids and I spotted him from my perch on the side of the mountain. Put a jogging stalk on him to get to 124 yards according to my range finder. Settled down into a good position with my shooting sticks and put one through the boiler room. 350grain A-Frame on top of 63 grains of H335,Starline Brass and a Fed210 Match primer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Armymark; 09/05/12.

Anchorage, Alaska