Dear Fellow Shooters,

Can I just ask for an informed opinion borne out by experience, as to whether it is worth paying the extra for Nosler Ballistic Tips over the Hornady SST?

I noticed on a recent thread the dissection (literally) regarding every facet of the NBT, it's performance and pros and cons, including relative toughness within calibres by differing weight. It was very interesting.

Has a similar body of work been carried out in respect of the Hornady SST by the collective expertise among this online group?

I use the SST mainly in my 270 and 308 because they compare well with the likes of the NBT for accuracy and bullet drop further out. I favour 150g bullets in both but quite like the 130-140 in the 270 Win as well. I wonder do those 3 bullet weights in 277 differ in construction too?

I am not looking for a NBT vs SST discussion per se. I am more interested in the relative merits of the SST generally, and more specifically if there's such variance of construction and end performance as there apparently is with the NBT within calibres (if the ongoing NBT thread is anything to go by). Though there is of course an element of comparison between the two because they appear to fit the same market niche, while in my neck of the woods 50 x 150g NBTs cost 33 dollars while 100 x 150g SSTs costs me only about 45 dollars, sometimes less!

I shoot pigs, deer and goats. I don't often get after deer so I can't afford to have a bullet let me down on the one or two occasions a year I get one in my sights. In my 270 Win I am generally shooting the 150g bullet about 2925fps and the 130g around 3080fps.

I know the theme might have been done before but came up with only sporadic slivers of info with the search engine. Thanks for reading.

- Bob