I recently acquired two Ruger #1 rifles. One is a RSI in 7x57 and the other is a 1A light sporter in 30-06. Both are gorgeous rifles, and I have wanted one for a long time. I was fortunate enough to get two for a super deal. I had an older Leupold VarX-III 1.5-5x20 lying around and mounted it on the RSI.

At the 1.5 power setting the eye relief is perfect. At 2x it is ok, and it gets progressively worse after that. I cannot even crawl the stock enough to use it at 5X. Now this scope has the most eye relief of any scope I have, and it is a far back in the rings as it can go. I have not even tried a scope on the 30-06 yet.

My question is this. If I buy a set of the extended rings from Leupold or Burris, will I be able to use them with the Leupold 1.5x5? I am afraid the scope will be too short to move it back very much without the objective disappearing into the front ring, or not even reaching it.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. As is, the rifles are essentially useless to me. With only 1.5x magnification capability, I might as well just use my 35 or 45/70. I cannot take advantage of the extra range from the 7x57 or 06.

Thanks