This is the best solution I've found so far, a Christmas (Oops! Holiday) present for one of my Dad's No. 1's:

[Linked Image]

That's a before, after then a shot of the Moulds bases (available from Brownell's). Those are PRW low rings which did have a "square peg round hole" issue and took some grinding to fit but there are many other Weaver-style rings that wouldn't (my Badgers fit the base fine).

The scope is a 1" 3.5-10X40 (currently back at Leupold due to yet another bent main tube). As you can see, it could be mounted much farther back with some meduim rings (or some grinding on the front of the base) but that's enough eye relief for him and it's so much nicer to get the scope down closer to the rifle than it was (which I don't think is possible with the Burris adapter).

It's not cheap, but I believe that's the best way to solve the No. 1 scope mount problems. You can put the scope where you want it, it's much stronger than any sort of offset rings and you can place the rings such that they support the tube in a manor which may keep you from bending scopes.

Hope that helps some people.