I've had two mountain rifles and while both could shoot good groups, they were very picky. I tried one of them in a bell and carlson stock similar to the one they are using on the new SS mt rifle and it just didn't shoot well with anything. I suspected that the stock was too flexible and did not provide enough stability for that thin-contour barrel. Other folks obviously have really good ones, or have figured out the right loads, but with factory ammo the two I had were not consistent, and did best in wood stocks with pressure points.

An alternative to consider is the CDL-SF. I have one that weighs 7.6 lbs with a 3-9 x 40 leupold and lightweight Talleys, exactly what my mountain rifles weighed with wood stocks. It's 6.7 lbs without the scope and rings. The fluting largely makes up for the heavier barrel contour. The SF is consistently accurate with everything I feed it, hits the same POI even when hot so you don't have to wait forever between shots. The barrel seems very well made, cleans up quickly, dumps heat well. I only wish it had a 22" barrel instead of 24", for handling.

You might also consider a Win 70 extreme weather, which has a 22" fluted stainless barrel in a B&C stock. It would be a little heavier than the mt rifle because of the action and because it has an aluminum bedding block. But I would trust it more to shoot with a variety of ammo because of the stiffer stock and heavier barrel profile.

Either of the B&C stocks are pretty thick through the wrist.