Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Ben yes the RUM is the fastest....recoils too much for me. smile

shooting nearly identical remington 700s chambered in .300 win and .300 wby, the weatherby beat me up off the bench, and the winnie seemed tame in comparison.

the only real difference in rifles was that his factory m700 .300 wby had a slightly heavier scope, and my custom barreled m700 winnie had a slightly heavier contour barrel.

we were both shooting 180s loaded to max velocities from the same manual.

John yes. The 300 Weatherby (depending on powder choice)operates with charges in the mid-80's and the 300 Win in the mid to high 70's......you go up in powder charges and you get a corresponding increase in recoil and blast from the larger case.

This is nitpicking but at some level you reach the tipping point in recoil and blast that makes one "tolerable" and the larger cartridge a bit over the top.

I think one reason the 300WSM has become so popular is that (like the 300H&H),you get within 75-100 fps of the Winchester and 150-200 fps of the Weatherby,but with lighter powder charges,which means less recoil and blast,so I agree with Dober and if on the market for a 300 Magnum today(considering my age grin I'd grab the WSM or a H&H and run with it.A 180 gr bullet at 3000 fps is a formidable game getter.

Years past for me the 300 Weatherby was the limit in a 300 magnum and if I were going to tolerate more recoil than that I wanted more bullet weight and diameter rather than more velocity.

Balancing all this stuff with manageable recoil and rifle weight is why I became a 7 mag fan. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.