I had that exact scope with the TDS. I liked the glass. I was out in NM on a pronghorn hunt. I was trying to steady my rifle at 18 power, using Harris bipod. I made the shot, but it wasn't easy. If I had lowered the power, the TDS wouldn't be right. When I got home, I traded that one for a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT and fitted the BT with an Outdoorsmans turret, set up for my load.

If one has a Euro with 1st focal plane TDS, then the scope power can be changed without losing accuracy, but the reticle gets thinner as the power goes up. With the more common American type, 2nd focal plane reticles, the TDS is only accurate at full power. To me, that's a compelling reason to go with turrets. That's what I did. You can adjust the power and the turret independent of each other, not so with 2nd plane ranging reticles.

DF

Edited to add, keeping up with a different set of values for each power setting is a night mare and something I didn't even consider. To me, that's not a viable option. If I wanted to keep up with a drop chart, I'd go with an MOA turret and make a drop chart for each load. In my case, I don't like keeping up with drop charts. So, I found the best load for my rifle, set up a yardage turret for that load and took it hunting. If one expects to shoot a bunch of different loads out of one gun, then the MOA, drop chart option is the best way to go.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/16/12.