Originally Posted by jcrain1970
Looking to get the wife her first rifle as she wanting to get involved in hunting. Wondering what would be recommended as a good caliber for deer and antelope? First thoughts are .243, 25-06, 7mm-08. Also thought the .270 & .308 though I think those would be a bit much for her to shoot enough to be comfortable and accurate with the rifle. Whats your thoughts? Any one "better" than the others? Trying to stick with more common calibers due to ammunition cost and availability as I do not reload.

Thanks

If all she'll ever hunt is deer and antelope the 243. If at some point she might want to go for something bigger then the 7mm08 or a 308. Those last two are both mild in the recoil if the rifle fits her. (Find a BLR, women seem to get along with those real well).
The biggest reason I recommended the 708 and 308 for bigger stuff is it's less likely some azzhole idiot with about as much real world experience as a can of spam, will be able to put doubt in her rifles ability, they way the experts can almost wreck a new/young shooters physcy with a lite rifle like the 243. Of course I do know of an example where a person claiming years of elk experience gave a thumbs down to the 308 as being in adequate ( only to later admit he didn't even know anybody that used one) So I suppose no matter what cartridge someone can come along a screw with a newbies mind....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com