So far our gang has killed four elk..three bulls and one cow..I thought guys might be interested in the bullets used, distance etc.

The first was a cow my gal killed..It was probably about 200 yards..she shot it with a .300Win. and 165 grain Accubond..the bullet hit infront of the shoulder and ranged backward..the cow staggered about thirty yards and stood, the second round hit behind the shoulder and ranged forward..she dropped right there..the second round was not needed, but by putting her down on the spot, dressing was no problem and loading the animal was a fairly easy job..

The first bull was killed about 300 yards with a .300 Win. 165 grain BTBT..the guy was aiming to hit the elk in the neck just infront of the shoulder..the bull was quartering to him..at his shot, the bull swung his head, and the 165 grain BTBT took him in the head for an instant kill..they had to pack this guy out several miles on backpacks..He was a good 6pt.

The second bull was a smaller 6 point taken at about 400 yards..the elk was heading into dark timber when hit with a 150 grain BTBT from a 7mm Wea. Mag..It is a rebarreled 700. Due to range. wind, and moving elk the bullet struck a bit far back just infront of the back quarters..When the elk was spotted standing in the timber a second shot dropped him on the spot..he only moved maybe 50 yards and was obviously sick..

The third bull was a rag bull, killed by my pal's wife..this shot was about 125 yards in fairly open timber. the bullet hit behind the shoulder and was found under the hide on the off shoulder..the bull was quartering slightly away..It was taken with a 7mm sum and 120 grain BTBT..Surprising performance from such a light bullet..

We still have elk tags to fill..if I gather the deals of more elk will add to this later...

Molon Labe