Thanks for the deeper look, ChrisF. In other circumstances, perhaps, your thought might be key to correcting the conversation.

The recognition of need in my buddy began with a deer-losing 'rest' problem (he fiddled too long, lost the chance for a shot). We explored, and he doesn't have the mind-set of quickly determining the right position for the circumstance, doesn't know and isn't comfortable in standard positions, isn't aware of the multitude of things that constitute a rest, needs a refresher on shooting fundamentals, and simply needs trigger time.

Offhand instruction and practice will be a small part of our time. This thread was begun because I'm missing that particular rationale and I like to be thorough- even in the small stuff.

I've shot a goodly number of animals (not nearly as many as some folks have (!), but quite a few), only a handful, of big game, from offhand (with a rifle). By far, most have been from prone; though partly because of my preferred hunting style. I almost always hunt under a daypack, and it's my primary rest. I'm a firm believer in assisted shooting. I'm confident that I'll do well by my friend re his deficiencies noted above, (and more; my thoroughness sometimes knows no bounds smile ).

So I think we can return to the subject. I'd like to hear what those champs have to say.