I am a bit late weighing in on this subject, but I thought that the words from the very first Ruger No.1 Advertisement in 1967 were instructional as to the question posted by the Poster.
"Why have we built a single shot in this day of self loaders and repeaters? Today's reason for the single-shot is oddly analagous to that which inspired the great single-shot rifles of the 1870's: To produce a more efficient long range rifle. In the '70's, the single shot was the most powerful type because it could digest outsized cartridges. Today, the Ruger Single-Shot can have a 4 1/2" longer barrel than a comparable bolt-action rifle of the same overall length. Accordingly, the Ruger Single-Shot obtains greatly increased velocity from modern magnum cartridges. In addition to this significant ballistic advantage, the Ruger No. 1 Single-Shot combines handsome lines and perfect balance with the luxury of a closely fitted action-- a rifle to appeal to the connoisseur,
Beyond these physical advantages is the challenge of the single shot--which puts to the test the true skill and marksmanship of the hunter who works hard stalking, loves life in the open, and never hunts in a way that takes unfair advantage of the game."

To read the accounts of the day, many thought Bill Ruger had lost his marbles to even contemplate a high quality single shot rifle in 1966! Obviously, it still is not for every hunter, but over 400,000 Ruger No.1 rifles have been made and sold in the last 45 years. the No.1 is all I have used in the last 40!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm