Bob,

I was in Zim in June of this year and living conditions were better than when I was there in 2009. You will need to be very careful in selecting an area to hunt if you want a good chance of success for buff, leopard, and plains game. I have hunted in both the Zambezi valley and the Midlands and plains game was not plentiful in the areas I hunted. Also, in some areas leopard is a full time hunt as the educated cats are difficult (Midlands). Areas in the Save might be a good place to look as leopard and plains game have been reported in good numbers but that was before the current land grab problems.

I will go back and I suggest that you can have a great hunt if you pick one of the well known, ethical, and honest outfitters and a good area. I would not worry about the politics or safety unless there is a revolution the week you leave. Your outfitter will keep you safe and the govt needs your business.

I haven't been to Namibia but am considering it and Mozambique for next year. Moz has areas reported to have good success on both the DG and PG. but again, there are both good and dodgy outfitters. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.