I had to live with nothing but a refrigerator/freezer for years and the defrost cycle is the cause of freezer burn and especially anything that's kept in the door.

There's a way around it though and I proved that it works after experimenting for a few years. First, don't put anything in the door for long term storage. Then, store all the packages in cardboard boxes or tubs. I used 12 pack cardboard beer boxes just because they were perfect size. When I did this I kept vac-packed frozen fish and meat for years with no problem.

When the packages are bundled together they become immune to temperature variations in the defrost cycle and opening and closing the door. This also applies to uprights or chest frost-free freezers. It doesn't matter if you use cardboard boxes or plastic tubs just so long as they're somewhat closed vs just leaving them open to air circulation.

You can pack a freezer chock full, have easy access and prevent freezer burn by using larger containers.

There's another advantage to this. It prevents vac-packed bags from getting holes poked in them from by rustling around and searching for what you're trying to find.

While I'm on the subject another tip for long term storage is to flash freeze it. I've found it does make a noticeable difference in the quality of fish or meat stored over the long term. With tubs or boxes it's easy to temporarily unload the freezer and make room on the racks or on the bottom of a chest freezer to speed up the process. Another thing that helps is to chill the packages in an ice chest or in the fridge before freezing and do only one layer at a time ... if it's practical. With a couple hundred pounds of moose or elk it isn't very viable. grin