ExpatFromOK said:

What happened to the USS Liberty by the IDF was no mistake. There are some hard points to make here because both sides had major points of contention, but I'll take a shot. The short story is this. The USS Liberty was a electronic surveillance vessel. It was monitoring Israel's communications and feeding info to the Syrians and Egyptians. Some of this info was not too flattering in terms of Israel's possible courses of action, but the info we were feeding Israel's enemies was also hampered their ability to effectively defeat the invaders. Israel felt its national survival was at stake, so they did what they thought they had to to stop the flow of information. You will note they did not sink; they damaged it to the point in which they thought it could no longer transmit. You will also note we did not respond because it would have brought into sharp focus world-wide the mission and activites of that ship. While the death of US service members infuriates me, I think I would want my country to respond in a like manner if a country was listening to our comms and transmitting our scheme of maneuver and mission endstate to the enemy.

I'm now zipping up my asbestos jump suit............

That's the most ridiculous version I've ever heard of why Israel attacked the USS Liberty, show me verification of that.

MacDonald