Originally Posted by JMR40
Already decided on my 30-06. Got the boots, binoculars and clothes. I've hunted deer in the west, but decided that if I'm driving that far I'll pay a little more for an elk tag next time. Had a trip planned for this Fall, but things just did not work out. Maybe next Fall.

I'm undecided on the bullet.

I've experimented with the follwing handloads.

150 TTSX @ 3000 fps
165 Hornady Interlock @ 2900 fps
180 Hornady Interlock @ 2800 fps

All three loads consistently group around .75" @ 100 yards. Often closer to .5"

I use the 165 to hunt here in GA and am tempted to just use the same load for elk. I'm open to try other bullets and have just bought a box of 180 Accubonds. First range trip with those loads produced 1"-1.5" groups. Tweaking things might produce better accuracy.

What do the experts say.

No expert here but all will work. I've taken about fifteen head of big game with the Xs, TSXss,TTSXs, and an earlier mono- bullet, the name of which I can't remember right now. Having said that, to my way of thinking the 150-gr bullet (monolithic construction not withstanding) is a little light for my tastes in 30 cal. The 165-gr TSX/TTSX/ E-Tip is as light as I'd go in the 30 but I'm not so sure it has an advantage over the others you mentioned. The Interlocks will work fine too. I'm really questioning whether the mono's have much advantage over "good" C&C bullets in standard cartridges, particularly 250 yards and out. In magnums, yes. Of the fifteen head of big game I've taken with mono's, I've recovered three--one from a bull elk at 475 yards (210 grs started at 3100) and then only because on hitting the scapula, it took a left turn and ended up in a ham, barely expanded. This was from a 340 B. Another was from the off side of a thick Burchell's zebra mare taken with a 375 at about 150 yard--a 270 gr TSX started out at 2700 fps and the last (7mm 150-gr) went full length through a heavy mule deer buck ending up in the hide over the right ham. That was from a 284 started at 2900 fps. They do penetrate but if velocity drops off at distance, my experience has me wondering a bit.

With what you've stated so far, I think you're on the right track.