Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
So i wouldn't gain anything by going to a 300 win mag?

The .300 Winchester

by Jack Steele

SAY YOU WANTED

The same analysis applies to the .270 Winchester. By all accounts a hell of a sheep and deer caliber, throw elk into the equation and the .270 becomes marginal. Sure, there are elk hunters who shoot their bull with a .270 every year, but they are the exception. Most of the savvy elk crowd considers the .270 either too small or the absolute bare minimum for wapiti.

The .338 Winchester Magnum is another thing altogether. By all accounts a large caliber by North-American standards, it has been said that true recoil starts at the .338. A seasoned rifleman who practices regularly certainly should have no trouble handling the .338, but for many casual shooters, the .338 is simply too much rifle to shoot regularly or accurately.

Copyright � 2000 - 2007 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Pretty much lost me on these two...glad as heck I'm not a savy elk hunter....other wise I'd not have used and seen the .270 used on elk as much as I have over the last 3 decades...grin

And from where I sit, a 338 is pretty much easier to deal with than a 300 but that's just been my experience.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy