Hi TZ,
My, Uncle was in the RCAF, he was born in Winniepeg. At the Age of 19 he flew in Wellington Bombers, then went on to fly with 550sqn on Lancasters,his war time log books are very harrowing. After the war he joined the RAF and was involved in the Berlin airlift. He was killed during the 50's on a routine op (on my Mothers birthday of all days!). His son ,my cousin live less than a mile away fro me.
As for loss in conflict, my family had a boat building bussiness on the River Humber. Most of males out of the family and also that worked for the bussiness that went to fight in between 1914-18 didn't come back.And the bussiness didn't survive. We really did lose a generation of decent hard workin men. My Grand father was one that did come back . he was wounded at Messines, very badly, but went back to fight in 1918. He always walked with a waddle a would never talk about what he went through. When I reserched his military records I found why.
I don't hold any form of animosity towards the German people for the loss of my family or for what my mother and Grand Mother had to go through during the 40's, being bombed every night.
Durin WW1 and WW2 the loss on both sides was horiffic, and as for winning the war , Britain didn't come close, we are still suffering from it, with over crowded run down housing that people were put in as a replacement for homes lost in the bombing and have never been replaced. Go to any town in the UK and you will see run down post war,austeriy housing estates.

Back to topic, I do object to the NSA spying on the people of the UK and the rest of the world, using ECHOLON, but then if we didn't use the internet and freely give info, then that would be half the problem gone. Its also the fact the US government is doing on UK soil with the support of the British government.