Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Why would you sell the RIFLE if its shootin .67"@100 yards... Seems dumb to me when its the scope that is 36" high... But then again, I ain't the brightest bulb around!

It would probably shoot good groups when it's straight. To me, when I pay for something, I want it right. I don't want a rifle that has to be sighted at the extreme edge of the scope adjustment.

DF

Edited to add a post on the Optics thread by JB, discussing bore sighters. Operating a scope at the edge of adjustment range isn't ideal. JB mentions excessive parallax set up like that.

" Re: Bore Sighters [Re: ldholton]
Mule Deer
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana Bore sighters (or more technically, collimators) have uses aside from getting on paper. We should also recognize that lecver, pump and semi-auto rifle don't allow us to look through the bore while adjusting the scope.

The most important use of collimators is getting the scope lined up reasonably well with the bore BEFORE shooting. This helps the scope work the way it should, especially the adjustments. If the scope is mounted quite a bit off-line with the bore, then the adjustments won't be nearly as repeatable or accurate. In fact a lot of people think scopes have bad adjustments, when the real problem is off-center mounting--which can also result in excessive parallax.

A grid collimator also can reveal adjustment-tracking problems without shooting expensive ammo.

The best way to check any collimator for accuracy is to use it on several rifles that are already sighted-in. This reveals many things, including how bore/reticle alignment varies due to barrel weight and bedding.

The most consistent and accurate collimator I've tried is the Wheeler (Midway) laser sighter. It works on any barrel, including shotguns, since it's one of the collimators that attaches to the muzzle with a magnet. The downside is that it requires a little distance (preferably 25 yards) to work."

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/10/12.