I should have probably made the title better and asked...small hatchet vs large knife.

Seeing as that Winter is upon us and my knowledge and gear base has increased over the years, I want to add to my winter kit.

I would guess I will get Steamrolled for admitting it, but winter scares me to a degree. Or maybe I should say "I am less confidant" in my winter survival skills. I have training in winter survival but I am always fearful, possibly because I realize the potential for problems is greater than backpacking/hunting in September. Basically, even at 8,000 ft in the earlier hunts, you can say you'll just put on all of your clothes and survive(I understand this is general). But throw several feet of snow into the mix and drop the mercury to 10F and I think things get a bit more dire if forced to survive 48 hours.

I am lazy by nature. I hate to add things to my pack, when the goal is to normally take away. But after training in winter survival I can see that shelter is a major obstacle to overcome. As is fire. And I am readily accepting to add a few pounds to my kit. I am sure there are many backwoods McGuiver's who can do wonders with 50ft of 550, a Bruks Wildlife Hatchet and a 6X8 tarp. I'd like to be one of those guys.

So, for EdT, Evan, or Dan(searched for Bruks users) or others who have experience.....what would be a tools kit for deep winter backwoods?

After seeing Dan's Boo Boo with the Hatchet it has given me pause. Leaning towards a 5-6" thick bladed Scandi grind knife to baton through wood.

I should say that I am already sold on a folding saw. Pack one even into my waders for duck hunting. The type that uses SawZall blades-cheap, has been reliable, and blades are easily swapped and of multiple tooth combos.

Feel free to add any other things you wouldn't leave out of a kit. You can skip flint/steel, matches, lighter etc. Those are givens. More along the lines of shelter builder or wood/fire preparation.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 12/10/12.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....