Well, I suppose I should speak up. I'm Cory's buddy. I'd just like to clear up the picture that has been painted for me, lol. First, I have no intention of shooting at an animal beyond a distance I'm capable of making a precise, clean shot 100% of the time. To be honest, that's probably about 300 yards for me right now. I am newer to big game hunting, no question about it. I have been shooting recreationally for most of the last 15 years though. I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, however being "new" to rifle shooting is not accurate.
Now to my caliber choice. I know that the 300WM is probably not ideal for many of you, maybe not me. What I want, is a rifle similar to my -06, but slightly more capable of long range target shooting as I work my skills up to higher levels. I'd like to have a "happy medium" sort of speak, as I know you can't have a great target rifle (heavy barrel, etc) that's also an ideal hunting rifle. My brother lives in Colorado, so big game is in the near future without doubt. I also have a friend that can get me second line ammo in 300wm for about $6/box due to cosmetic flaws (scuffed or nicked case etc). My -06 is a very nice looking French walnut kimber, I'd like a secondary deer gun of similar caliber with a synthetic stock to use on rainy days, rocky, muddy terrain, and so on. I've done a bit of research, and I don't think a 300 would be a BAD choice. Are there better choices? Sure, you guys have named a few, and I agree, those are great recommendations. I just like the idea of having a gun similar to my -06, but maybe have a little more potential for when I grow into it. Not to mention the $6/box ammo!
Again, not claiming to be any kind of expert, and I do appreciate everyone's input! Just telling my side of the situation.