Originally Posted by 7 STW
They strangle those diesels so much it's darn near impossible to get decent mileage on the newer motors.At the end of the day you have a new cleaner motor that burns more fuel than the older model it replaces.Makes zero sense.

exactly!!!! since mid '04 and later dodge's in particular have dumpped extra fuel into the exhaust to keep the CAT hot. of course the late 07-08 and later engines had DPF units and even further emissions controls. IMO I would not buy ANY diesel truck made from 08-till they switched to urea injection, ford and chevy would be 2011 and newer dodge would be not until the 2013 model. all 3 makes had a ton of issues from 08-10 years. they put massive amounts of EGR back through the motor which sooted the oil and made the engines not run near as well. fuel mileage was down 20% or more over previous models. I spend nearly $800/mo in fuel 20% extra is substantial. that is why I have so much trouble believe someone getting 19mpg in the most emissions chocked model of '08. not saying its impossible but I never saw that kind of number with 3 different trucks over nearly 10 years.

everyone asks me what kind of mileage does your 2011 ford get. I say it depends. it depends on load, speed, and if the truck has had a regen or not. at times I can get amazing mileage. if I drove 60mph I could easily bust 20mpg in the summer. but I will say with the regens its seems difficult for my truck to string together a full tank of great mileage. but I am still better than my '06 dodge in all situations.