Klikitarik;
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the photos of your family hunts and the surrounding countryside.

I've got to say the lack of trees very much reminds me more than a little bit of southern Saskatchewan Klik. wink laugh

For us in the south Okanagan our moose hunts are less of a believing experience and more of a "it might be my turn to win the lottery" type of thing.

We do have a fairly healthy moose population, but even in a season where we see for us "a lot" of moose, that will still not be much more than a dozen in total.

When the initial immature bull season opened here it was during the rut, but since the biologists believed we were killing too many of them the season was moved forward a month which makes it much tougher to find the young bulls.

On this morning here, I was on the track of a lone moose and was hoping it was a young bull by the size of hoof print.

[Linked Image]

The "trick" for Okanagan moose or for that matter elk hunting - for me hunting solo anyway - is to find a legal specimen within a reasonable packing distance from somewhere I can get the pickup to. So in the above photo I was hoping to find a bull on the edge of the cut and not too far into the shintangle jungle that they like to drift into.

Oh, the moose that morning was a solo cow.

One advantage of the season being moved forward is that the cooler temps do give one more time to pack meat out without it spoiling.

In the same general vicinity of the photo, but in our hot September elk season I've simply waved good day to a branch antlered bull elk. He was standing where I'd killed a good mulie buck a couple years before you see, so I knew beyond a shadow of doubt I couldn't get all the meat out without losing at least some of it.

Anyway, sorry for going on too long yet again. I find it very interesting how vastly different our hunting terrain and techniques are. cool

All the best to you and your fine family in 2013 Klik and thanks again.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/28/12. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"