Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I will admit that I am somewhat confused at this point. based on all that has been said here, what is the advantage, if any, of a heavy barrel?

in a target rifle? makes the gun heavier which helps with recoil which matters whan your shooting alot over a short period of time....helps it settle into what ever your rest is(bipod, bags, ect) so that minor twitches on your part dont move the crosshairs much.....if i was building a target rifle heavy is good...

a hunting rifle, for me atleast, is different....everything is a trade off in keeping recoil tolerable, having a rifle that balances well offhand, and isnt unnecessarily heavy cause my knees are shot and i do feel extra weight, you wouldnt believe how concerned i am about how much my footware weights cause over a certain point equals pain....

but i dont do long range shooting in my big game hunting....havent killed a deer farther than 300 yards away because of how i prefer to hunt and to me i would much rather have something like a Kimber Montana or NULA because of how i hunt.....some of the guys that like long gange hunting prolly wouldnt like my choices and i understand why....my Kimber isnt what i would choose for 500 plus yard shots cause its light weight magnifies every lil tremor on my part....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books