Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Only primers I ever had a problem with were a batch of Rem 9 1/2 large rifle. Two out of a box perforated right at the outer edge of the pocket, this with a very sane .270 load. They impressed me with how destructive a jet of gas can be. Two tiny pin pricks but they each burned away a divot from the bolt face of the Model 70.

I had the same problem with some Rem. 91/2 primers. I put a few of the fired ones in an envelope and sent them to Rem. They offered to repair the rifle, but I didn't think the few divots would hurt anything, so I didn't send the rifle in.

They also explained they had come up with a new method for making the primer cup, and it was leaving a small crack or some type of weak place in the primer.

As far as I know, they recalled all of the ones that were defective.

I continued to use Rem. 9/12 primers ( not the same lot number), but a few years ago, I had some misfires with them. I switched to Federal and Winchester and haven't had any more problems.

Many years ago, when I fired in High Power competition, none of the shooters would use CCI large rifle because of misfires.

Maybe CCI has solved the problem since then. It was a long time ago.

I also shot in competition pistol, and none of the shooters would use Rem. 22 Rimfire because of misfires. These were the low velocity match cartridges.