kute,

That would be my take as well.

I have hunted moose in BC and Alberta, both guided hunts because that's required of non-residents. Got a nice bull on each hunt and both cost a lot more than $3000. The BC hunt took place a decade ago and even back then the outfitter's price for 5-day, moose-only hunt was $5000, if I recall correctly, and is aroun $7500 now. It involved flying in to a backcountry airstrip, then hunting on horseback. There were a LOT of moose, and I shot a good one the second day of my hunt, the 13th bull I saw.

The Alberta hunt took place 3 years ago. It was a cancellation hunt so I got a discount but even then was $6000. It took place in the country along a good-sized river on the eastern plains of the province, where moose have become well-established in the past couple of decades. Got a good bull for the area, though not as big as my BC bull.

I drove to both hunts from my home in southwestern Montana, taking two days to get to Fort St. John in BC and one day to get to eastern Alberta. That saved money on airfare, and also allowed me to bring the meat back easily and relatively cheaply.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck