I've been loading 7mm-08 for three different rifles for a few years now. I'm now starting to develop loads for my new Browning BAR 7mm-08 and need you to help me think think this through. In the past, I've basically been a "Heavier for caliber" kind of guy, thinking this benefited penetration. (I like two holes) Now it doesn't seem to me that weight plays near as big a role as it use to and my focus is shifting toward accuracy above all else. (Please straighten me out if I need it :-) )

Given all of the new bullets on the market today, for a given caliber, what role does bullet weight now play in the scheme of things? It seems that now there are lighter weight bullets that now can do what it took heaver bullets to do in the past.

For example, the 7MM 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is one of the highly lauded bullets on these forums, with many many examples of excellent accuracy, deep penetration and deadly performance. At the same time there are much heaver 7MM bullets that accomplish the same thing.

So.... given equal accuracy, trajectory (under 300 yds), and performance.. what would lead you to pick a lighter vs heaver bullet, or vice versa? What's the trade off?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
firstshot

Last edited by firstshot; 01/02/13. Reason: Changed Title

Make your firstshot count!