Originally Posted by 65X54
While the 154 gr round nose is a good bullet in the 7mm's it's gotten a little difficult to get them. I believe that's another one that hornady has dropped. Building a load on an obsolete bullet is maybe not the best use of time. Unless one has good stockpile of them.

They are getting hard to get. Called Hornady today and was told that the 7mm 154 RN's have in fact been discontinued. So... I started my stockpile by ordering 400 of them.

At <300 Yds the 154gr RN gives up nothing on trajectory; however, they drop like a stone after that. I use a Ballistic Plex reticle & sighted in .5" high at 100 here is what it looks like. With the B-Plex aim points I'm basically dead on out to 300 Yds
[Linked Image]

I've been hunting with these for several years and terminal performance has been exceptional. A bunch of dead dear and hogs, most of which were DRT. I have never recovered one of these. All shots have been complete pass throughs. Got two pigs with one shot weekend before last. Pig#2 moved into path of Pig#1 just as I fired. Bullet went through the head of Pig#2 and then through neck of Pig #1.

I am working up some "Longer" range loads though. Starting with the 140gr Accubond. Am also ordering some of the 120gr NBT's (which I belive I can push to about 3,200 FPS) so I can see first hand what all the small/fast "hype" is about. :-)

I'll stick with the 154 RN "Hammer of Thor" as my main hunting load, but it is good to have alternatives.

Thanks to all four your input
firstshot

Make your firstshot count!