Ppine. It's not that there there have not been contributions by mustangs,but buying a horse is the cheap part and there are many many breeds of horses that are bred for a particular task in mind that have contributed a lot more.

With a mustang,you have no idea of it's past breeding and the possibility of getting one with Spanish Barb blood lines are slim to none.

That broom tail might have come out of blood lines that were from heavy draft horses, thorobreds, horses that had some genetic deficiency,or just plain rank horses that someone didn't have the moxy to put down when they should have. The stallion that sired any particulr horse,might just have sired that animals damn, 4-5 generations back and every generation in between.

If I were considering such a trip,I would be looking at feet both size and shape, backs, general conformation that would give me a little bit more assurance that that animal would be up to the task and dispositions that I would not have to fight all the time. Just saying that mustangs are all up to the job,just don't cut it. Sure some mustangs will fit the bill, but it's like saying everone should ride a mule and you know that ain't gospel.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles