About 3 years ago, I put a post up on the fire about a 7x57 I have that was manufactured sometime in 1965. Prior to purchasing the rifle (more than 10 years go) I called Winchester and spoke to Harry in their historical dept. about it's authenticity.
Harry ran the serial number and verified that it was a 7x57 and suggested that it may have been part of a run of special order rifles produced for either Davidsons or Cherry's and/or possibly intended for European distribution.
I then went back to the gun shop and purchased the rifle based on that conversation.

After I posted it up up here on the fire, there were a number of helpful posts, for instance, I found out that the stock was of a later manufacture, what happened to the original I do not know.
It was also suggested that Winchester may have re-barreled this rifle at one point.

I have been thinking about what I should do with the rifle. I took the rifle out of the safe a few days ago and while thinking about it, I removed the the one piece scope mount that was still on the rifle in my original post,
and noticed that both the action and barrel are single proof stamped suggesting that Winchester did not re-barrel it.
There is also a 55 stamped on the underside of the barrel adjacent to the witness mark. The barrel is also not marked "Featherweight" suggesting it was a take-off barrel from a later rifle.

I'm attaching some pictures in the hope that some of you might be able to help me figure this rifle out.
I am interested in selling it and would like to put a honest and fair value on it.
I am happy to provide any additional pictures to aid in evaluating this rifle
Thanks for your time and consideration,

BD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member