I've used a stock 1-A in .243 for years, big game (deer and hogs) and varmints, mainly ground squirrels, coyotes, and jackrabbits. It'll kill any deer dead, dead within reasonable ranges, meaning the distance YOU can make a clean high shoulder, neck, or head shot. For me that's about 150 yards, although I killed a nice muley in the Snake River breaks years ago at more like 200 (hard to "pace" distance when it's almost vertical!). And I DON'T shoot at animals that are running; don't do that with a .358, either. I use 95-100 grain bullets, mainly Nosler. Heavier caliber 1-As kick some. A .243 doesn't, so you can shoot it a lot and get VERY friendly with it shooting paper, squirrels and other varmints before big game hunting season.

My 1-A fits me perfectly without modification. I'm 5' 10" 200#, and have, as my gunsmith puts it, "ape hanger arms." He means "long."

1-Bs shoot fine, but I never saw the advantage of the long barrel and extra weight in a .243, especially one that's gonna be carried a lot. On a long day's "glass and stalk," a 1-A is just right. Put a compact 2x7 on it and you're set.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong