I agree that the .270's, 7mm's, .308's and .30/06's are "more mainstream" for hunters, but as a RSI owner (in 7x57), I didn't choose a RSI and it's caliber especially for hunting, but rather for the RSI's "looks" and handiness in the woods.

Of course, I chose the 7x57mm because that caliber "screams" to be chambered in a Mannlicher-style stock... regardless of barrel length.

A RSI in .243 would make a nice antelope & deer rifle, but it's a bit short on power for elk or the larger types (caribou & moose).

The RSI's short, 20-inch barrel isn't THAT much of a velocity-loser as one might think. My hunting load for my little RSI in 7x57 is 50.0 grains of Hodgdon's H4350 behind a 140 grain Sierra, flat-based Pro-Hunter bullet sparked by a standard Winchester large rifle primer in Remington cartridge cases... and it gives me right around 2800 fps (chronographed) outta that short little barrel... more than "adequate" for antelope and even the largest mule deer under 300 yards which is further than I prefer to take a shot.

My "hunting range limit" is 250 yards so that I can insure humane kills... and I prefer even shorter ranges if I can get 'em.

I think there's a whole bunch of deer hunters out there who would 'most likely love to have a Ruger #1 International (aka "RSI") in .243, a cartridge which will kill deer like the Hammer-of-Thor with reasonable bullet placement.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...