Many interesting responses and Ruger seems to have a fine reputation for being a no nonsense dependable rifle one can count on. Also seems more than a few think they would be stuck somewhere out West or in a place like Alaska and didn't consider having the local being further East.

When I threw the question out I didn't think all that much re my own answer, and after sleeping on it, this came to me this AM. Omitting the guiding avocation, and just making a living off of two rifles, my choice would be a well built rifle in a .22Hornet or even a .22Mag-I think CZ makes those-especially If I was roaming East of the Mississippi. Stuff your pocket full of shells and you are good to go; from small game to Deer at reasonable ranges. Lots of ammo and little carrying weight.

My big rifle would be a solid Winchester pre 64 Model 70 or a Ruger, both in .308W. More than enough cartridge for most everything and if you reload your own has a smaller appetite for powder, with the resulting less cost per round, more rounds per pound and less weight to carry around.

Last edited by battue; 01/10/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler