battue I don't see my choices as being much different from what I use now smile or what I've used for general hunting the past 40 years or so.

Mostly, this has been a Model 70(pre 64 or Classic)or Mauser 98,dropped in a good synthetic,with a 22" barrel for standard calibers (270,280,or 30/06);or a 24" barrel for magnum cartridges.They have all been built "light"(relatively for what they were),with an eye toward durability.Sometimes SS and sometimes CM.

So chamberings have varied over the years and there are lots of good choices but the general utlity of a 30/06 or 375H&H can't be denied.

In the east,I found out years back that I was not terribly handicapped in the brush for fast shooting with a light bolt action.The same rifles have been used east and west,because I hate things that are complicated,and my experience has been that only about 100-200 yards seperates the game I have killed in the west, from the longest distances I have dealt with in the east.Might be where and how I hunt but has been true for me nonetheless. smile

I have yet to have a snafu that I could blame on my equipment. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.