Originally Posted by RockChucker30
if I were going on a backpack elk hunt tomorrow I would take the Kelty Cache Hauler I just got for $95 shipped.

This is based on actual testing with 100 lb loads. I got a lot of belt deformation and slip with kifaru packs with more than 70 lbs, and the same with the three piece Dana belts. The Kelty belt stays where I put it and is much more comfortable with big loads.

Maybe I'm moving forward by moving backward? Trading $600 packs for a $100 pack that works better? Some lessons are more expensive than others I guess.

I just bought a Cache Hauler shoulder strap and belt system from Kelty to upgrade a 30 year old Camptrails frame. This old Camptrails frame is the same (or nearly the same) as the original Barney's frames. The Cache Hauler system "bolts" right to the old CT frame. Very light and very comfortable. The old CT bag was horrible and was discarded years ago, so its just a pack frame that I use cinch straps to hold down quarters and what not. I will be making a compression system to hold off-the-bone bagged meat better. Its going to be a nice rig next fall.

I still don't know what to do for a real backpack for sheep. My old internals are OK, but I have never really loaded them with more than 50 pounds before.