Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
Yeah, just about every single person I know that either lived through the depression, or was born shortly thereafter is in some way, shape, or form a prepper. They don't call it that, of course. But come some type of disaster I can promise you they won't be the ones roasting their cat and drinking their own pee and bitching about it on facebnook.
I'm old enough to know a lot of folks that lived through the depression, especially since my parents both grew up in those troubled times. Personally, I think it made a lot of folks about half nuts. No offense or disrespect to the oldsters, but just being real... Most of them I knew resembled hoarders rather than preppers. I fail to see how a thousand Folger's coffee cans in the basement or a few hundred plastic butter cups is gonna save your asss. Most of the depression era folks I knew were too tight to buy much in the way of preps.

I understand what your are saying, I see alot of that too. But I also know that most of the ones around here have canners and gardens and fruit trees, and know how to get that done. They have been doing it for years. And alot of them can survive on damn near nothing if they need to. Its a mental thing, too many of the younger generations that haven't gone through that kind of stuff are just too soft. And maybe it is different around here too, we are rural farm and cattle country, right on the edge of the old dust bowl country. They took care of their neighbors, and helped do anything that needed done.

When we moved into the house my MIL had been in for years, there were over 800 pints and quarts of home canned stuff in the cellar. I have been dumping the old stuff and filling them back up from our garden. There was also 5-30 gallon trash cans full of old fabric that was junk, and ALOT of other junk as well. But there was good stuff in there too. Like Kerosene lamps and oil. Cots and blankets. Camp toilet and paper in case you get trapped in the cellar. Lots of good stuff. Mainly I just hauled out the junk and reorganized the good stuff. I was way ahead. We live in Tornado Alley, and I think about things like the storage building getting blown down on top of the cellar, and maybe it could be a couple days before someone digs you out. It wasn't but a couple years agoa big blue norther ice storm left us without power for a couple days. You just never really know.