I have a drahthaar. I was a lab guy for years. My father in law hunts English setter and pointer. I have had a gsp as well. There is no more family friendly dog than a lab, but with the exception of water retrieves a drat will out hunt any lab. They are amazingly tough, driven dogs. I can't express that enough.

I actually have both a pudelpointer and a drahthaar, my drahthaar hunted from birth....here is a pic series at about 3 months old. I am not a dog trainer, just a hunter.....and our grouse are not big....she is just a pup here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A bit farther into the season she really began to develop. She has never hunted planted birds and has always produced for me.....

[Linked Image]

This quail fell dead in some bad nasty thicket that my FIL's English pointer and setter would not go into. I walked Cali down wind of it and sent her in.....minutes later, here is the spoils....
[Linked Image]

I killed a limit of chukar over her only once so far....more due to my fear of dying than her lack of hunt. This hunt was about -15 and the birds were holding pretty tight. Sorry, no field pics as my camera batts were zonked by the cold.

[Linked Image]

I don't have any field pics of our pudelpointer. She was a rescue and hunting her is rough on me after having a push button dog like Cali.

[Linked Image]

I just learned that I need to take more field pics. When buck, my black lab, passed I assumed I would never again have such a great dog. Buck was able to telepathically do what I wanted, it was glorious. Cali, my drahthaar, she does not do what I think all the time, and at first, I was dissapointed.....I learned that I need to let her hunt and follow her, for I am right 60% of the time and she I right 99% of the time. She does not have the clingy lovey side my lab did, in fact for the first 4 years of her life, I am not sure she even liked me. She just slept on a bed in a corner and ate....then disappeared into our 5 acres of grass fields all day. Now she has become a bit more of a lap dog. Our pudelpointer is every bit as needy as a lab, but again, she is a rescue.

Fwiw, both are beyond tollerant.

[img]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z16/gyonemura/440a06432d1b03854ebadf5ad4d4329e.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.