I too have basically avoided gun shops and gun shows since the incident in Dec. By coincidence I was making a regular telephone order for a few things the day of or the day after Sandy Hook, not realizing that the panic buying was kicking in. After taking my order, the nice lady said after a pause, "that's it?" Not in the normal way, but as if to say "that's ALL your getting?"
The floodgates were bursting as we spoke. I don't really NEED anything and could probably get by with what I have the rest of my shooting days. But that's not to say there aren't some different components I'd like to get.
Regular shipments are bought up as soon as they come in, and folks not finding what they want are now buying anything that's available, like shotgun shells and hunting centerfire ammo.
Whoever would have though America would run out of rimfire ammo? Most people are used to just buying what they need as they need it. As long as it's on the shelf why spend the money?
The federal bulk packs of 22 never recovered here after the panic buying of the first election, as they came in, they went out. Fortunately I didn't think like most.
How long will this last? It will all depend on how hard sub-zero decides to push his agenda. But I don't forsee things getting back to what you could call "normal" for a long time, at least until regime change in DC.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"