Originally Posted by bigJ
Originally Posted by greydog
With a bullet seated, I don't think a 458x2 will fit into a 264 or 7mm Mag. Might go into a 300 Weatherby or STW.
I had a 450 marlin reamer modified to use the standard magnum headspacing (.220")and it worked out fine. If a person wanted the Marlin headspacing, it could be done with a boring bar. GD

Greydog, could you please explain what they "altered" on the 450marlin reamer. Couldnt a guy use an unaltered 450 marlin reamer, but standard magnum gauges? I thought the only real difference was the belt length... (but I dont have the cartridge drawings in front of me so I could be wrong)

BigJ,
Altered the portion of the reamer which cuts the belt recess. I could have simply run the unaltered reamer in short but that would have resulted in a reduced over-all chamber length. What difference this would have really made, in the big picture, I can't really say but this was done at a customer's request and he seemed to think having the full chamber length was important. What I actually chambered was, essentially, a 458x2.1". I, as the gunsmith, was just doing what I was told! As I said, I could still cut the standard Marlin chamber if I wished to do so. At this point, I feel confident in stating I will never build another 450 Marlin or a 458x2" so none of this matters! In the unlikely event that I should change my mind, I'll just run a 458 Winchester reamer in short and cut the belt recess with a boring bar. GD